Saturday, May 8, 2010

Writing Olympic Quotes

Peace Corps countries in Caucasia have a trans-Caucasia competition called the Writing Olympics. The Writing Oympics is a English Language Writing Competition; students write on assigned topics in their villages. The essays are judged for a national competition and then go on to the trans-Caucasian judging in Georgia.


I volunteered to help judge Azerbaijan's WO this year. Grammar and spelling are not factors in this competition because we are looking to develop creative thinking with this competition. Nevertheless, the combination of creative thinking, English as a second language, and children make these essays frustrating and hilarious to read.

Here are the winning quotes from Writing Olympics Azerbaijan 2010:

See you soon, famous. (If you could be famous for anything, what would you be famous for?)


I must see Jeff Hardy. I must go to Smack Down. (If you could live in any other country than Azerbaijan, where would you live and why? Jeff Hardy is a professional wrestler.)


THESE ARE MY THINKS! (Written in all capital letters at the end of the essay.)


I must be my friend America. (Again, if you could live in any country ....)


Golden Fish can give me a computer. I have 4 wish. It's no many. Golden Fish, please, help me! (If you could have any wish, what would you wish for an why?)


Do you know what happens if all the colour are mixed? You can check it. (If you could paint the perfect picture, what would you paint?)


I don't live little. Butterfly always dead. (Would you rather be a kangaroo or a butterfly? Why?)


If women were in the army, it would be better. And better, honestly, awesome. (What would happen if women could join the army?)


I want to buy knowledge in America country. (If you could live in any country....)


Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!